People have asked for so many times “How do you join amigurumi pieces?”, “How do you sew the toy together?”. Obviously it is one of the most complicated things for beginners and it takes time to find your own way to do it. I have found mine, but it was a long way and a lot of experimentation.
I have created a versatile tutorial of two different ways to sew pieces together at the same time showing how to attach different types of pieces. Hopefully it will help some of you, who you are stucked in this issue. One method might suite some of you, the other method might be more comfortable for others. There is no right and wrong in crochet, it`s just the matter of how it`s best for you.
Please note! It`s good to leave a long tail of yarn in the end of each piece for sewing. This makes it much easier. I used contrasting color of yarn and didn`t tighten the seam to make it easier for you to understand. Using the right color of yarn and tightening the seam correctly will make it much more unnoticeable.
Let`s get started!
JOINING WITH VERTICAL STITCHES
Connecting two open pieces
1. Insert the needle vertically between the stitches of the first open piece (head). This means you`ll go around the post of the stitch, from right to left. Draw the yarn through.
2. Now insert the needle between the stitches of the other piece (body), just where the two pieces touch. Again, draw the yarn through.
You have finished one joining stitch. Repeat the same until you have worked the entire round.
You don`t need to pull the yarn very tight, but enough from keeping the stitches being loose. If you are using the yarn in the same color as the pieces, the seam will fuse with the rest of the surface and will become almost invisible.
JOINING WITH HORISONTAL STITCHES
Connecting open piece to a closed piece
1. Insert the needle horisontally between the stitches on the open-ended piece (leg). This means you`ll bring the needle through the little hole between the two stitches. Draw the yarn through.
2. Now insert the needle between the stitches on the closed piece (body), just where the two pieces touch. Draw the yarn through.
Repeat the process till you have joined all stitches on the open-ended piece.
You will get another kind of the seam, but when made using the same color as for the pieces and tightened enough it will become almost invisible.
And that`s the whole mystery :) I hope some of you find this tutorial helpful.
JOINING WITH STICK THROUGH METHOD
Connecting seamed piece to a closed piece
1. Insert the needle through the seamed piece (ear) using the stitches above the seam. Draw the yarn through.
2. Now insert the needle between the stitches of the closed piece (head), just where the two pieces touch. Draw the yarn through.