CROCHET DOVE ORNAMENT
These gorgeous crochet doves are a beautiful handmade home decoration idea for Christmas or Easter. Make a set of birds in different colors using the same fabric which bounds them nicely together. Or crochet all doves in the same color of yarn using different fabrics to give each bird a slightly different look. Have fun with the free pattern!
DISCLOSURE: SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE.
Supplies you`ll need:
- sport or DK weight (fine or light) cotton yarn. I used Scheepjes Catona (color #222, #251, #256, #409, #523)
- crochet hook 2.5 mm (or in accordance to the yarn you use)
- polyester fiberfill
- cotton fabric and thread for sewing
- golden thread for the peak
- 2 small spangles and 2 golden beads for the eyes
- beading thread and needle for sewing the eyes
- satin ribbon or golden thread for hanging (25 cm / 10 in for each)
- Darning and embroidery needle
Finished size: 4.5 x 4.5 cm / 1.75 x 1.75 in
Skill level: easy+
Stitches needed (US crochet terms):
Slip stitch (sl st), chain (ch), single crochet (sc)
Repeat (rep), stitch(es) – st(s)
About the pattern:
- Work in continuous rounds. Do not join or turn unless otherwise instructed.
- Use a stitch marker and place it in the first stitch of the round to mark the beginning of it.
Crocheted in one piece from top to bottom.
1: Start 6 sc in a magic ring 
2: Work 2 sc in each st around 
3: (Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) rep 6 times 
4-6: Sc in each st around
7: (Sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st) rep 6 times 
8: Sc in each st around
9: (Sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st) rep 6 times 
10-11: Sc in each st around
12: Sc in next 12 sts, (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) rep 3 times, sc in next 12 sts 
13: Sc in each st around
14: Sc in next 14 sts, (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) rep 3 times, sc in next 13 sts 
15: Sc in each st around
16: Sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog, sc in next 9 sts, (2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts) rep 3 times, sc in next 8 sts, sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts 
17: (Sc in next 4 sts, sc2tog) rep 6 times 
18: (Sc in next 3 sts, sc2tog) rep 6 times 
Stuff the piece and keep adding stuffing as you go to bring out the shape of the dove.
19: (Sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog) rep 6 times 
20: (Sc in next st, sc2tog) rep 6 times 
Finish stuffing. Weave the yarn tail through the front loops of the remaining stitches and pull tightly to close. A helpful video can be found here.
Embroider a peak with golden thread.
Add spangles with a golden bead in the center as eyes.
Cut two wings from cotton yarn. Make sure they reflect each other. Attach with pins to the body and then sew in place.
Add golden thread or satin ribbon on top of the head for hanging.