This tutorial teaches how to work treble crochet stitch. Before I start it has to be said that there is a little confusion with the name of this stitch. In US terms, instead of treble crochet (tr or trc) it is often called triple crochet. In UK terms however, you`ll find it under the name of double treble (dtr).
Stitch name and abbreviation:
US – treble or triple crochet (tr or trc)
UK – double treble (dtr)
Treble crochet stitch is similar to double crochet, but it`s a bit taller. If you want to begin a row with treble crochet, make sure you chain 4 to get the correct height.
1. Yarn over hook twice and insert your hook in the next stitch.
2. Yarn over hook and pull through the stitch. You have 4 loops on hook.
3. Yarn over hook and pull through the first two loops on the hook. There will remain 3 loops on your hook.
4. Yarn over hook and pull through the next two loops on the hook. There will remain 2 loops on your hook.
5. Yarn over hook and bring the yarn through the last two loops on the hook. There will remain 1 loop on your hook.
The first treble crochet stitch is completed!
If you work them in a row your piece looks like this: